Mission Township Fire Department is a rural county fire department that borders the west side of Topeka. We proudly serve approximately 9,000 residents living in a township of 35 square miles. Our department consists of seven full time officers and paid on-call volunteers. We provide fire suppression, emergency medical services, and rescue operations. We also maintain the only water rescue and recovery team in Shawnee County. Our team provides mutual aid to surrounding counties when requested.
We are currently looking for qualified applicants to strengthen our volunteer base. Our department and our residents rely strongly on the support of our volunteers. As a volunteer, you will be expected to assist the department by responding to calls, volunteering for special events, and by attending and receiving training. We provide our personnel with monetary reimbursement for call response, as well as providing any necessary training in the fields of FIRE/RESCUE and emergency medicine.
Our criteria for hiring are:
- Applicant must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must be free of any felony convictions.
- Must live west of Gage Blvd.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must be willing to commit the time necessary to the fire service. i.e. To run calls, attend monthly drills, attend training, etc.
- Must be willing to pursue certification as an EMT–Basic and Firefighter 1.
- Must have a clean driving record and provide a certified copy of their driving record at the time of application.
- Must be able to pass a background investigation.
- Must be able to pass a departmental agility test.
If you meet our criteria and are interested, then M.T.F.D. wants you. Please print and fill out a copy of the Volunteer Application and bring it to the station along with a copy of your driving record and a photo I.D. for identification purposes. Following the review of your application, you may be asked to come in for an interview by our Fire Chief, followed by an interview board comprised of our members, and finally an agility test. Upon approval of our Fire Chief and interview board and satisfactory completion of the agility test, you may be asked to attend our recruit academy.
Thank you for your interest in Mission Township Fire Department.